How to Retrieve Text messages from lost Android Phone?
“If you’ve accidentally deleted text messages by mistake, worry not,” says Kenny Trinh, editor of Netbooknews. The chances of getting your deleted text messages are 99%, but only if you act fast. Trinh says if your texts are deleted, you have to act quickly to retrieve them. “The messages are only recoverable until the portion of memory on which they are saved is rewritten.
Reach out to the other person
We suggest you start with the method that requires the least effort and reach out to the person whose text messages you lost to see if they can re-send them immediately. But, this only works if you’ve just lost one or two text chains. But, if it is a lengthy conversation, she can send screenshots or screen recordings.
Call Carrier Company
Calling your carrier company can be a good option if you provide them with all the details and verify yourself as the sole owner of the SIM card with the phone. You will likely retrieve your text messages back, but you have to be quick as carrier companies only keep the text messages for 24 to 48 hours to make sure that the text is sent.
If your phone has been stolen and you urgently want to retrieve your text messages, there are a few other options for retrieving text messages. You can check the google drive backup option, and the chances are you will get your text message back. Of course, this will only work if you have set up regular backups—a backup from two years ago probably won’t help you much here. But if you’re backing up every day or every week, or more (as you should be,)the chances are pretty high! While you’re at it, there is a guide on how to back up your computer.
Data recovery software
If you don’t have a backup, your next step is to give data recovery a try. There are a couple of different data recovery tools to help you through this part of the process. Again, this is a paid service but worth it if you haven’t backed up your data recently.
When retrieving text messages from a lost Android phone, the steps may be slightly different based on which application you choose, but the general steps are as follows:
- Download and install your chosen software
- Run the program on your computer
- Connect your phone to Google or Play Store ID to your computer (with the recovery program installed and program running).
- Scan the Android device to recover text messages. In this step, the software for Android can connect and scan your device to find and analyze all the data. After scanning, the software can classify the found data into different categories, for example, Contacts or Messaging and even photos.
- Select and export the text messages. Next, you can click “Messaging” to preview its detailed contents on the right. Then select the messages you want to retrieve and click the “Recover” button to get them back. Here the software will prompt you to specify a folder to save the retrieved files on your computer.
Note: You may get lucky and recover what you need with the small amount of free recovery provided. If not, you’ll have to purchase the full software program. It’s always worth a try. There’s a risk that the installation will overwrite data, then nothing can be saved back to programs to help.
As we said before, deactivating the SIM card is the essential premise to get back your WhatsApp messages. After you have retrieved your phone number with a new SIM card, you can get back your data by logging into your WhatsApp on another mobile phone. For how to make it, follow the steps below:
Retrieving Whatsapp Chat from lost Android Phone
Step 1. Get another Android phone and get a new SIM card. Then, deactivate the old SIM card to prevent any malicious activities.
Step 2. Download WhatsApp on your new Android Phone.
Step 3. Log in to WhatsApp with a new SIM card but the same phone number on your present handset.
Step 4. When you log in to WhatsApp, it will automatically check for any backup in your Google Drive account. An option appears to prompt you to restore all your files. Tap on “Restore” to retrieve all of your conversations.
Step 5. Based on the size of the messages, it will take some time to restore all your messages. Once the restoration is completed, click the NEXT button and follow the on-screen instructions to reload your WhatsApp profile.
Retrieving WhatsApp messages from a lost Android phone requires three conditions:
- Another Android phone.
- New SIM card with the same number.
- Google drive backup you’ve made before.
This method is the simplest way to recover your WhatsApp messages and chat history from a lost Android phone.
How to avoid this?
To avoid making a habit of restoring, I recommend that you regularly back up your SMS messages. The Google Drive application is quite famous for the highest success ratio in recovering data. This app has an automatic backup system that does all the work for you; you only need to open it yourself when you want to access an older version of your stored text messages.
There are few genuinely other good options at your disposal if you need to recover deleted text messages. Here are your best options to prevent using recovery software in the future:
- You might get in the habit of taking screenshots of important messages when you receive them. These images, stored in your phone cloud storage, are insured against accidental.
- Turn on Google Drive’s device backup option. Follow the instructions above on recovering messages if you have lost your phone. If you don’t see a backup listed, tap “Backup Settings” and configure Google to start creating regular backups of your phone.
- Another trick is to email all your important text messages and documents to your own or a backup email. It may sound a bit weird, but this is the best and safest option. As you email all the important text to yourself, the text is easily accessible anywhere, even without a phone.
How to recover deleted messages from a Google backup
Many Android phones are configured to back up to Google Drive automatically. So if your phone creates automatic Google backups, you might be able to restore your phone to retrieve the lost text messages.
Unfortunately, even if you had a recent backup before you deleted the text, keep in mind that this is very much a “nuclear” option.
This is a time-consuming option and can result in the loss of other data created after the backup you are restoring.
Here’s how to see if you have a backup:
- Start the Google Drive app on your computer.
- Tap the three horizontal lines at the top left of the screen. In the menu, tap “Backups.”
- If you see a section labeled “This device,” tap your backup. It will only appear if your stolen device is still active and has not been factory reset.
- On the details page, find the entry for SMS and check the date of the last backup. If it’s before the date, you lost your phone. Unfortunately, there are nearly zero chances of getting your text backup.
Other ways to recover text messages
Suppose you don’t want to spend money on recovery software that might not yield effective results, or you didn’t back up your phone on Google Drive. In that case, there are some other things you can consider. They can be helpful but are not the ideal solution:
- Contact the person you were messaging with. Your contact might be able to supply the information from their end of the conversation.
- Check for other apps that might have automatically captured the important aspects of the text message. For example, photos and videos might be automatically downloaded to your gallery.
If you do not use Google Drive or any other backup software, there are still good chances that you can get your data back if you own a Samsung mobile. You have to log in to the Samsung account that you initially used to set up your account. If you have not disabled automatic backup settings, then there are chances that you will get your texts back.
So we discussed possible solutions to retrieve your text messages from a lost android phone and tips to prevent it in the future.
- First of all, you can reach out to the other person that sent/received the message and requests them to send it again.
- You can call your carrier company and get your messages back, but make sure to contact them as soon as possible.
- Check Google Backup; if you backup your data regularly, you can retrieve your data easily, only if you backup data daily or every week.
- Data recovery software is an option too. There are paid and limited free recovery software to retrieve data from your Google or Play Store ID.