Is It Important To Have A Blog On My Website? How Often Should I Post?
While having a blog on your website is not essential, the benefits it can bring your business are not to be snuffed at. When utilized properly, a well-written blog can be invaluable. But why is it so important? And if you do have a blog on your website, how often should you consider posting? Let’s take a closer look…
Is it essential to have a blog on my website?
Again, a blog is optional; however, if you want to run a successful search engine optimization campaign, a blog will be a huge help. Here’s why:
- Quality blogs can increase the traffic to your website: If you continue to post excellent content on your blog, it will invariably drive more traffic. Of course, you must post helpful, industry-relevant content that your target audience will benefit from. That is the key to making the most out of a blog.
- A well-written post can convert traffic into leads: Not only can a decent blog attract more traffic, but when those readers arrive and engage with your excellent, well-written content, they’ll be much more likely to convert into loyal, paying customers – especially if your blogs have clever internal linking with pathways to the products and services on your website.
- You can establish yourself as an authority: Of course, it’s all well and good driving traffic to your website, but if your visitors don’t trust you, they will be far less likely to buy. When website visitors can see a populated blog with dozens and dozens of well-written, industry-expert articles, it helps to establish your authority and prove that you are the real deal. For example, a dental surgeon could share a definitive guide to dental implants, how to overcome the fear of going to the dentist, and which foods are most harmful to oral health, etc.
- Forever grow your audience and attract new customers: A blog is for life, not just for Christmas! In other words, everything you post will continue attracting traffic to your website for months and years. Just ensure they are all well-optimized with proper keyword research – and, indeed that you continue to update old blogs with new information as and when necessary.
- Help people better understand your products/services: There is no end to the subject matter you can write about on your blog. One of the best ways to utilize a blog is to have weekly/monthly product reviews where you deep dive into various products or services and outline all of the features and benefits – including how to get the most out of them (e.g., surprising things you can do with X). This is a great opportunity to upsell your products and give customers even more value!
- Build healthy backlinks: Particularly if you are frequently creating unique content within your industry, there’s always a chance that other businesses will reference your blogs in their writing and create links back to your website. This is even more likely if you include infographics and statistics or create and share evergreen content. These links will build your website’s authority and positively impact your online standing.
How often should I post on my blog?
How often you should write a blog depends on several factors, including your blogging goals, available time and resources, and audience preferences. There are some general guidelines you can heed.
Starting a blog requires creating a regular posting schedule to gain momentum and draw in readers. Aim for at least weekly posts, as it will establish you as an authority figure without overwhelming readers with too much content.
As your blog matures and expands, as your experience increases, it may become necessary to increase posting frequency to meet reader expectations and stay ahead of competitors. However, a balance must be struck between quantity and quality – posting too frequently could result in tired readers and lower quality material; too infrequent posting could mean your readers lose interest.
At the core, your ideal posting frequency for your blog depends on its individual circumstances and reader needs. Therefore, you must experiment with various schedules and track results to discover what best serves you and your audience.
There is no hard rule for blogging frequency, however, at the very least you should aim to post a new blog every week – ideally on the same day and at the same time. Getting into a schedule for posting content will not only help your website traffic grow, but you can also start seeing repeat traffic, as certain people come back for yet even more amazing content!
Naturally, the quality of your content needs to be on point. You can post every single day but if the content is low quality and you do little in the way of keyword research / optimization, you’ll be wasting your time.
Quality over quantity. Even if that means posting once a fortnight, if it is well worth the wait it will have a more positive impact than daily posting.
All in all, we would say that having a blog on your website is entirely worth it. When leveraged well the benefits it can bring are far too good to ignore.
Of course, if you feel overwhelmed by the amount of responsibility, hiring a digital marketing agency can help you stay on top of this without increasing your workload. Not only that, but a digital marketing agency can ensure that each blog post is well-optimized, researched, and more likely to attract and convert the right traffic.
Regarding your online visibility, you should use every tool at your disposal!
Mainly when many of your competitors will be neglecting something as valuable as a well-optimized blog, doing so will give you that extra competitive edge.