Why is my Xbox one stuck on the green screen?
As a gamer, you always have to be up to date with your games. Talk of playing with friends but unfortunately, something happens and your screen becomes green and if you were in the middle of the game, there is a possibility that’s a loss for you and also at risk of losing your games. Should you worry about your screen getting stuck at green? Let’s find out.
What causes the green screen?
Commonly known as the green screen of death. Most Xbox One users have encountered this screen. When you look at reviews from those who have seen it, the reasons for it are quite different from one another. They range from hard disk being corrupted, system update failure, communication errors and other unknown reasons. This looks like a complex issue so I will try to explain them briefly.
System update failure.
This means that when a device is updating and this could be at moments you are playing a game when the updates fail, it will automatically go to the green screen. Every device needs time to update the system.
Corrupted hard disk.
If the hard disk you are using is damaged or corrupted, there will be a read and write error and then the green screen of death.
How to fix it
There are ways in which you could try to fix it so that it doesn’t prompt you to buy a new console.
Factory Reset the Xbox one
First and foremost, make sure your data and information are secure. The reason is that even for a phone, once a person factory resets it, everything is lost. There will be no restoration. Fortunately, if you use drive recovery software called EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, it will help bring back all your lost data from formatted hard drives, SD cards etc. If you download it, you are on a safer side
The steps to factory reset your device are;
- Hold both the eject and sync button and click the power button.
- When you hear the 2 startup tones, you will see the menu, click on factory reset
- After that, there will be a question of whether you want to keep your installed games or not.
- If yes, Click keep and it will update the games.
- It will boot again and all your games will be restored
Hard Reset the Xbox one.
This is different from the factory reset. It’s easier and has only two steps but in case it doesn’t work after that, it means the problem could be more serious.
- Press and hold the power button for a few seconds. Maximum 10.
- Then wait for it to reboot.
Update offline using a USB
This is among the first option fixes you need to choose. With updating offline, you need to have both a USB with not less than 4 GB storage formatted as NTFS and a windows computer that is equipped with a USB port. Once you have them, follow the next steps.
- Download the offline system update file onto the USB.
- Copy the system update file onto the USB.
- Power off your console and unplug it from the source. It should be entirely off for a maximum of 30 seconds then power it on
- Look for the Bind button and Eject then press and hold for about 15 seconds.
- Two sounds will be heard and then release the buttons
- When the console turns on, go to the startup troubleshoot.
- Connect the USB drive to your console then click the offline system update file troubleshoot will be there.
- Go to the D-pad button and the A button on the controller and then click offline system update
- The offline update from your USB will start to update.
- Lastly, the console will update once finished and everything will be back to normal.
Format the hard disk
This is where EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard makes an appearance again. The format means getting rid of data, so when you format your hard drive, everything will be gone.
- First things first, go to your file explorer
- Right-click on the corrupted hard drive and then click format.
- Everything will be gone. It’s simple but it costs you, your data.
The hard disk is corrupted and damaged are two things set apart. In any case, it happens that the disk is damaged physically, there is only one option and that is to replace it. This is because you will also have issues with trying to format it so it’s better to get over with and go back to your games. Just buy a new one.
Just a friendly reminder. Don’t save your game files directly on the Xbox One hard drive. You can only save it on the computer hard drive. The discovery software will need you to follow the following steps
- Connect the Xbox One hard drive to your computer
- Click on the data recovery software of your choice
- Leave the software to scan all your lost games and data.
- After, click recover and all your games will be restored to your console.
Once you finish reading this article, there is one thing you should keep in mind, the green screen of death happens at the common rate and you are not the first gamer to complain. You might want to settle down before panicking because there is hope that the green screen of death isn’t that much of a big deal but that doesn’t mean it is to be ignored. Due to its different issues, you might find yourself in a position where the problem is unknown leading you to buy a new console. To stay on the safer side, make sure to know where the issue is by looking at the solutions and try to relate them with what the issue is with your Xbox one. And In case of data loss, there is a couple of data recovery software, try to look for one that suits your problem best and at least you know that there is a high possibility that everything will go back to normal as long as it’s not that bad.