Learn the best way to take care of new SOD grass
To look after the lawn is the common pastime for the homeowners all over and they are well aware of when to water when to cut, and even when to start with the new sod. New sod is perishable and so once you purchase it make sure to install it as soon as possible.
A professional lawn company will ensure that your new sod has the best survival chances and for that certain tips on how to take care of the grass sod near me is to be followed.
- How much to water new sod: Consistent watering is the key for the new sod to have strong roots and in case if the sod is applied during summers then it should be watered throughout the day to avoid shrinking and drying. Enough watering must be done to ensure moisture is been retained for at least two weeks after installation, and additional two weeks to prevent it from drying.
- How long should I water new sod: 45 minutes of minimum watering to the new sod should be done after the installation for allowing the lawn and soil to get the moisture that helps in rooting the process. After installing, for a couple of weeks of the watering session must be for 15-20 minutes twice a day.
- How long does it take for rooting: The new sod will root in 10-14 days of applying and should mow the new lawn for the first time after laying sod. Make sure to set the mower to the highest possible setting to avoid cutting it too close to the root. Avoid walking or running on the sod to prevent the fragile young roots from not growing properly.
- What will be the best time to water: Though you can follow the watering of the new sod as per your schedule if possible watering the lawn in the morning or late evening is considered as an ideal time. Avoid watering in the afternoon-the warmest part of the day as it may cause the water to evaporate rather than get absorbed. Lack of moisture will prevent the soil from retaining the essential nutrients for your lawn seeds.
- Can I fertilize new sod: Yes, fertilizers are important for the sod to survive which helps to create and maintain the root system to keep the yard green for years to come. Liquid fertilizer works best for the new sod and can penetrate the surface of the soil to condition the area beneath.
Tips and tricks for new sod
- Do not overwater before installing – The thumb rule is to keep the lawn moist but not soaked hence water it for 10-15 minutes thrice a day.
- Use the lawn roller – Lawn roller will level the newly installed sod to ensure all the patches are firmly placed close to the soil allowing the moisture to travel beneath to minimize the space between earth and roots.
- Wait for mowing – You need to wait at least for 5 weeks to mow the lawn after installing to avoid cutting the sod close to the root.