Does PS4 allow downloading movies?
It doesn’t come as a surprise that most of the games played on the PS4 controller require using an internet connection. However, does it allow downloading movies? The answer to the question is No. You can’t download movies on the console but you can watch them offline and that’s only in cases you have Blu- ray discs or the FAT 32 formatted USB stick and this will need you to install the media player on your PS4 console. Another unfortunate thing about movies on PS4 is last year, Sony decided to put a stop on PlayStation video in 2021 on both the PS4 and PS5 consoles and all this after 11 long years. Sony claims that the services are no longer needed at the moment.
What is the PlayStation video?
With the PlayStation video, a gamer was able to do the following;
- Watch movies using the Blu-rays
- Watch movies on DVD.
- It also had the production of a two-season adaptation of the power graphics novel.
- Ratchet & Clank which turned out to be disappointing.
In one way or another, it had proved its worth in terms of watching movies whenever a person felt like it.
After knowing the base of the issue at hand, you don’t need to worry about watching movies on your PS4 because there are other ways you can watch or stream movies without actually taking the download path. Stick around and see how to go about the whole process.
How to watch movies on your PS4 console.
We have now set the bar straight that we can still watch movies on PS4 consoles but not download them straight from it. This takes us to how we can make that possible. Look through the following methods and choose which will go depending on your interests or money.
First method: Blu- ray discs and DVD.
Here you need to consider which blu-ray disc you that’s if any is lying around. You must and I mean must check if the disc is either 4k or 3D, the reason is PS4 doesn’t support 4k UHD Blu- Ray’s so it will be a wastage of your time and money in case you went to purchase it.
Once all that is done and you are on the safe side, then you can go with the following steps.
- First of all, have your console completely updated and use only an internet connection that is not lagging.
- Insert the disc into the PS4 drive and press the black button on your ps4’s power button to eject.
- Go to the console’s menu and you will see a new option. It will be named blu-ray disc
- Use the controller and select the option then press the X button which will start playing the disc.
After all that, you are free to do whatever you want and your controller will act as a remote for the pause, play, fast forward options.
Second method: streaming.
The internet here is a must-have too. You can use Netflix, YouTube, twitch you name it, to stream movies or any content of your choice. There is a guide of how you can make it work with using those platforms and let’s jump right into it
YouTube is a home for multiple contents. If you love streaming cooking videos or music videos then you can as well so it on your console. Follow these steps.
- Go to the PlayStation Store on the menu
- Go down to Apps
- Select YouTube and click download
- After it’s downloaded, you can start using the app
This is where you watch all your favourite streamers doing what they love and know best for hours and hours. Follow these steps.
- Go to the PlayStation Store on the menu
- Scroll down to Apps
- Select Twitch and click the download option
- And after it’s done downloading, you can now watch your favourite streamers.
Third method: Just the movie you want.
The title is self-explanatory. All you need to do is go to the search bar and type whatever movie you are in the mood to watch and see how your console surprises you with what it has in store. Keep in mind, some movies may not work so click on them just to be sure. You will also be bothered by pop ads but who cares as long as you get to watch your movie in the end.
Fourth method: Google play movies.
This is for those who want to stream Google play movies. With Google play movies, there is a free and paid selection of entertainment for its users. Remember, despite that, they are not free to watch. Follow these steps
Before we go any further, you must have a Google account that will help you to download whatever content you paid for and another thing, the payment two ways, credit or debit card. Make sure you have at least of those two and that is necessary in cases where you don’t have a Google account.
- On Google Play, go to the movie section
- Then check the available trailers
- Preview those movies and buy the one that interests you.
After that, you might ask how you link those paid movies you bought with your PS4, let’s go through the process.
- Download the YouTube app from your PS4 store.
- In the menu, select Settings and go to account management and click the link with other services.
- Login into YouTube with the same account you used to buy the movie
- Go to YouTube App.
- Lastly, click purchases on the YouTube app and you will see the movie you bought.
After reading this article and you are a ps4 console owner who loves movies, you are not left in the dark with how everything works and though the methods in the article are few, they could get you on your next binge-watching session without a problem. All you need to do is follow through the methods that you prefer and everything will be good to go with binge-watching the Settings the Playlists by self-explanatory favourite the Stores favourite, store contents.